Thursday, July 7, 2011

We're like fire and gasoline. I'm no good for you, you're no good for me

I'm starting to realize everyone uses the defense mechanism of walking away. If you feel someone is dangling you on a string, doesn't care enough, or isn't trying as hard as you are- most people typically walk away, regardless of how much they want to stay. Maybe it's because it's better to be the one to walk away hurt, then the one sticking around seeming desperate. Maybe it's because we think it will be easier with the next person. Maybe it's because old love movies have programmed it in our brains that if it's meant to be the other person will come chasing after us. But I everyone does it. People feel so much emotion but refuse to fight for it- for fear of being the only one who cares, looking stupid, or because they think something better will come along that's easier.

So which hurts more? Sticking around or leaving? At least with leaving you get the satisfaction of knowing you had the power, you had the strength, you got the last word- but you also have that nagging feeling of "what if?" What if I had stuck around? What if I had just told them honestly how I felt?I guess you get your answer when you are by yourself- no sign of them reaching out to you. But you also have the same dilemma if you are on the other side. Did they walk away because they want you to chase after them? Would you look stupid if you fought for them? Would it be worth it to give them all the power after they pushed you out of their life?

Are the relationships that work the ones that both people are fighting for? You'd never reach that point because it all flows along so easily? Or because if one was to try to walk away the other would pull them back?

I hear the stories and I can't help but think it could all be easier. If instead of playing games of "You have to want me more, so I can be safe in my little bubble of security. If you don't want me enough I'm leaving. I can't tell you my true feelings."- what if we were honest?

What if instead we just said "I like you, I'm willing to fight for it- now tell me if it would be worth it. "

No comments:

Post a Comment