Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Defense for Mormons


As most people know- I am a Mormon- or as we prefer to be called a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  And the most common question I get from people outside the church is either- “How can you believe something like that?” Or “What if you get to Heaven and find out that it was all a lie?”

The answer to the first question is simple- I’ve prayed about it. I’ve studied it. I put my heart into learning the answer. And for me, it is the church that speaks to my soul. The number one thing I love about my religion is that it’s main principle is “Pray and you shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you.” And I found this to be true in my own life. I prayed, and received an answer. And then, when applying it to my life, I could see the ways it was proven true over and over again.

And the second- the one I really want to address- is even if I get to Heaven and find it was all some elaborate scheme, and a false religion- I will still be so thankful to have had the opportunity to be part of it. In today’s society, I see negative things about my religion everywhere- from articles about politics, to comments on youtube videos, to musicals and plays on Broadway. And if I was on the fence about my religion it might have had a negative impact. And while people rail to find the faults, in both the book and the people- I have tunnel vision and can only see the good.

I am proud to be part of a church that is centered around families. I am proud that our church stresses the importance of friendships between intermediate family members, putting your family first, and promotes teaching children good values by watching their parents live them. My family is my closest support system. I am proud to be in a church that encourages family meals, family home evening every Monday night, family prayers, and the main message- That families can be together forever. The more time I spend with my family, the more I know that there was some type of Heavenly being that gave me these specific people, and that person has a way for us to be each others support system through eternity.
I am proud to be part of a church that is focused on service. It warms my heart to see articles showing my churches contributions in many different humanitarian efforts. Service is such a key part of my religion. We have organizations set up in the ward level-  called Visiting Teaching and Home Teaching, where men and women are assigned members of the ward to check up on. Everyone is assigned someone to serve, so when something bad happens you have a support system built in to help them through. The women in the ward are always aware of what families are struggling, and meals, shelter, clothes, and emotional support is automatically extended. Every member of the ward makes sure that every other member is served and helped. I have seen this in my own family more times than I can count, and I have seen my own family do it. Nothing brings tears to my eyes faster then thinking of the wonderful people that came over and brought us meals, games, and prayers when my mom was having complications with a pregnancy. Or when, even at college, I was sick and people brought over soup, cards, and blessings. Everyone is taken care of. But more than that- the church asks us to serve everyone. Once a week we do a service activity in our churches, whether it be helping clean parks, clean peoples houses, go to old folks homes, create blankets for those in need, create service kits for desolate counties, and most importantly- pay ten percent of our money that we  earn to tithing. That money doesn’t pay for any church leaders expenses, our prophets bills or anything of the sort- that money goes to building church buildings, missionaries and their efforts to help other countries, and most of it to service organizations around the world. When terrible things happen- our churches main priority becomes helping those in need. Everyone I know on campus is involved in some service to others. This Saturday my whole ward made blankets for those affected by Hurricane Sandy. As far as I know, there are not many college campus that do that. And there aren’t many that have three different service organizations offered through the school to keep up with all the help that is being offered daily. Not to mention the service that we are called to do in the churches organization itself. Every member has a calling- a job that they are called to do without pay. Bishops spend hours and hours conducting meetings, interviews, planning ward activities, helping people, and doing much more. They dedicate 20+ hours a week to do a job that they get no money from. I have been called to be a teacher, a child care watcher, plan ward activities, and do much more. And these have given me the opportunity to be  a leader, learn empathy, and do service without any recognition.

I am proud to be part of a church that stresses education. Our church leaders stress, and restress the importance of every female and male to get the highest education that they can. My church provides a way for me to get a high education at a low cost, because it thinks that it is important. Our church leaders are men who are educated, and well read. It’s ironic that people paint us as ignorant, and naive when our main church leaders are surgeons, treasurers, attorneys, Supreme Court Justices, Nuclear Engineers and a majority of them have doctorates or masters.  It’s also funny that society paints us as backswords people when the FBI and CIA both have recruitment programs through BYU and study our Mormon Missionaries to better understand their proficiency at languages. Goldman Sachs recruits more that thirty people per year from BYU, and Mormons hold disproportionate number of top jobs at several major companies. We stress getting the best education you can, and learning the most that you. Both about religion and about worldly things. The church doesn’t ask me to a turn a blind eye to anything as others assume. It encourages me to find answers for myself, and be the most educated woman that I can be.

I am proud to be part of a church that believes in modern revelation. Revelation wasn’t just something that existed when Christ was on the earth, and in bible times. Today we are lead by Prophets and Apostles, just like in days of Christ. Today we can pray, and receive revelation for ourselves. I know this to be true. I have had too many moments in life where I wanted to do things my way, but after praying and getting answers- I was led on a different path. I have received answers when looking for them and have received personal confirmation that God cares about me, my path, my choices, and my fears. He hears, answers, and finds ways to lead us just like he used to. He didn’t ever sever all ties between us and his revelations.

I am proud to be a part of church that focuses on the priesthood. The priesthood is a key doctrine of our church and provides ways to heal the sick, receive comfort, bless and ordain, and much more. It also calls the men to step up to the plate. Being one who has health problems- nothing is more precious to me than the receiving of priesthood blessings. I have received comfort, when I thought to be beyond comfort, understanding when my heart was closed off, and actual healing when I was though to be beyond movement. I received guidance, understanding, and most of all- an ability to feel Heavenly Fathers love for me, through this ordinance. This makes me feel significant.

I am proud to be part of a church that differentiates between the religion and the people. Because in any church there are going to be people that are bad examples of the church, make mistakes, take it too far, and turn something precious into a way to judge other people. The church does NOT condone this. Almost every conference (Two time a year the Prophet, and his apostles conduct a world wide conference where they give us revelation, and talk about important spiritual things they believe church members need to know) there is a talk about getting rid of pride, and not judging others. This is the doctrine of the church. Even Joseph Smith has said “I never told you I was perfect; but there is no error in the revelations.”

I am proud to be part of a church that one of our main articles of faith is “We claim the Privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.” The church would never attack another religion or belief. In fact, I went to a friends Catholic baptism to support him, and found many other Mormons there doing the same. We support others in their beliefs in practices, even if they may differ from our own.

I am proud to be part of a church that stresses the importance to be different than the rest of the world. Our church doesn’t settle for mediocre. We don’t drink coffee/tea/alcohol, don’t have sex, don’t smoke, don’t cuss, dress modestly, and do things that other people think of as odd. And not only do we make these decisions, but that we are proud of them. The world would rather we act and talk like them, and be afraid of being different. The church teaches that it is okay to be odd, even defines itself as an odd people. But the church teaches us that it isn’t the worlds opinion that matters. I am proud to be part of a church that doesn’t want its members to become a cookie cutter representation of the world. Every member and situation is different and the church celebrates and encourages that.

I am proud to be part of a church that stresses that you are never too far gone, too lost, or too sinful to escape Heavenly Fathers love. Anyone has access to repentance and Jesus. And everyone, prostitute or prophet is loved equally by our Heavenly Father. And we, as members, have a duty to love them equally as well.

I am proud to be part of a church that teaches me the importance of turning the other cheek. When Book of Mormon the Musical came out- the church didn’t go into attack mode, or try to refute the mockery the musical was making- it instead came out with the statement “The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Chris.” They even bought ad space in the programs. Not only did the creators of this musical hope for this- they suspected it based on the quality of the people they had known that were Mormon. They said "before the church responded, a lot of people would ask us, 'Are you afraid of what the church would say?' And Trey and I were like, 'They're going to be cool.' And they were like, 'No, they're not. There are going to be protests.' And we were like, 'Nope, they're going to be cool.' We weren't surprised by the church's response. We had faith in them." When Big Love, made a mockery of our beliefs and private spiritual ceremonies, Elder M. Russell Ballard and Elder Robert D. Hales of the Council of the Twelve Apostles both responded to warn LDS members of their responses, that when expressing themselves in the public arena, Latter-day Saints should conduct themselves with dignity and thoughtfulness. And as Romney ran for president, the church received even more attention, both negative and positive. When negative things ran- the church never tried to attack or refute, they instead focused on letting the members know to be understanding, and patient. They made a point to let the members know the church had no religious stance, and that politics were up to the people. When Obama won, the church issued a statement saying that we support him as the leader of our country.  I have felt my heart break at seeing people turn something political into a religious attack on something that I believe with my very soul, I have been offended and angry but I have also listened to the church leaders, and turned the other cheek. They say “May the Lord bless you and inspire you to walk without anger, without bitterness of any kind, but to reach out to others with expressions of friendship, appreciation, and love.”

If it was all false, I have spent my time putting emphasis on what I feel like are important things. I have founded my character on principles I believe last outside the churches doctrine. I feel like my life has purpose and guidance, and that feeling, even if it turns out it is based on something false, is still fulfilling for me.   hope, regardless of how,you achieve that, you come to feel the same way I do. If it’s your religion, your politics, your family, your career, your sexuality or anything else that gives you that feeling that I get from this, then I support you, celebrate it, and give you the respect to let you do it in peace.



So you may hate my religion. You may question why I believe it. You may not understand me, but it is important to me. Just as you are important to me. I understand you may not understand it. I just ask that you respect that it is important to me. If you attack my religion- I will not fight back. But I will pray for you. I will love you regardless. And most importantly- I will continue to believe it.

8 comments:

  1. Wow sooo good! You're Awesome Lexi.
    Nick K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The musical accurately depicts the naiveness of missionaries. Mormons can't help but judge others, the church is built around the idea that they're right and everyone else is wrong. There's a reason they need to ask everyone to stop being judgemental in every conference. Although i agree with values of the lds church it's hard to believe people like you "love and pray" for me when i "attack" your religion. Personally i left the church because of the members, i now have a lot of non mormon friends that love and accept me for who i am and i feel much safer and secure of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to reply to this, and I hope you don't feel like I am beating a dead horse. I am so thankful you responded to this because it is a very valid point. I was raised in the church and the people I was raised around are like the people you described- judgmental and uppity. And I left the church because of it. It took me years (nine to be exact) until I got out of my community and met Mormons who were the true example of what the church should be. They loved and accepted me, and taught me the difference between the religion and the people. I think at a young age I realized that I had friends who were gay, drank, smoke and did things some people look down on, but they were some of the best people I've ever known- religious people included. I believe with all my heart we should judge people based on their character- not on their decisions and religious people sometimes forget this. I think you are right, too many Mormons forget about the big picture. I think it is a common problem in any religion. There is a quote "We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." And I think that applies. And I wanted to apologize to you. I am so sorry that you felt attacked and hurt. I wish I could have a stern talking to, to the people that made you feel that way. And I am happy that you found something that makes you happy and feel secure- isn't that what we are all searching for? I now realize the phrase "I will pray for you" sounds condescending. And I want to clarify- I will pray for you. But not that you "become a Mormon" or anything like that. I will pray that you will have the strength to stand against those who attack you, that their hearts will be softened, and (because I'm a little bit selfish) that you have the opportunity to meet good Mormons so you can hopefully get a better impression of us. I don't believe as a group of people we are all cut the same way. And just like you responded because you felt attacked, I wrote this because I felt attacked. I honestly believe NO ONE should be put down and I can't reiterate how much it hurts me that you were. I think we should all try to understand each other a little bit better, and look past all differences. I respect your feelings, and I sincerely hope that things get better for you.

      Delete
  3. If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you get back to the church? Just to clarify, a few years ago i used to be filled with resentment and fueled by hate. This no longer the case as i have learned not to care about who thinks what about me. That has however led me down a path enfused with drugs and alcohol (of course i'm only telling you because i don't know you) that i am no longer ashamed of. I do consider mormons to be family especially living in the heart of happey valley, but i have turned a cheek from them and they no longer know me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I totally don't mind. I know it sounds weird- but I feel like I was in your shoes before and I relate to you so I really want to try to get to know you.
      When I was in high school one of my really good friends died. And I decided I wanted some religion in my life, and I went to a lot of churches in my neighborhood. One in particular called the "Friends Church". That's when I started thinking about the concept of God, and trying to find out what I believed about it. Not even a month after she died, a girl moved to our neighborhood who was Mormon and was very different from the other girls. She moved because her dad had just died. And we used to sit in her car and talk about death, and the like. She never tried to convert me, or change me. But she certainly changed my views on Mormons. Then I went to Utah to see a friend who wasn't Mormon, and met a Mormon boy from Cali who became a fast friend. I've never connected with someone so fast in my life. He always tried to bare his testimony to me, but I always just told him to shut up. He dared me to read the Book of Mormon- and I told him I would but just to prove I wouldn't believe it. Soon I had read it, and just had a lot of questions. They introduced me to the missionaries, and they tried to answer them for me. I still didn't think I would become Mormon again and my intent was to prove them wrong. Let's just say- I made things very difficult for them. But, when I was young the people in charge of the church were the type of people that only saw black and white. And I feel like I live in a world of grey. And so it was hard for me to be around people that were strictly "This is right, and this is wrong" without there being an in between was hard for me to grasp. Because, like you I am sure- I had seen good in people that were supposed to be "bad" because of their choices, and bad in people who were supposedly good. But when the missionaries were teaching me, I met the bishop and the young womens counselor. And both of them saw the gray. They talked to me, and when I boldly said "I have done these things" they just sat there and said "okay... that doesn't make you a bad person. You do know that right?" Our bishop, ironically enough had grown up outside of the church and claimed he used to be a pot head. They talked to me like a person, not a project, or a sinner. And soon, they were friends. I kept telling them I wasn't going to join the church again, and they didn't push it. I had a lot of dinners with the young women leader where religion never came up. (Not that I don't think she didn't have ulterior motives, but I know from watching her with other girls and her own children, even if I hadn't have joined I would still be having dinners with her)

      Delete
    2. But I kept coming back to ask about certain things. Because in my life I was trying to find out what things I believed and didn't in religions. And I was certain, the whole process, that I was going to find something that proved them wrong, and be able to rule out the church. But something about the plan of salvation rang true to me. I always believed there was more to God than a guy who said "Okay you didn't hear about the church- you are condemned. You did this one thing wrong- burn." And somehow I felt like when I heard about the plan of salvation it assuaged my fear about the black and white- because the plan accounts for the gray. I also felt it ring true to me about my friend who had died. I felt something I honestly can't describe. And the more I tried to prove it wrong, but prayed about it- more things happened to the point where I couldn't keep saying 'oh this is just a coincidence'. To me, I got my proof in ways specific to me. And the more I studied the word itself, the more complete as a person I felt. I felt like my whole life I was searching for that piece of my heart that was missing. And I placed a lot of things there to fill it- and they didn't work. I thought love, or substances, or even money could fill that part of me. And somehow I found that peace in the church.
      I want everyone to find that peace- how ever they can. I don't assume my plan is everyones. I don't think you should take my word for it and just join the church. I don't think that everyone finds that peace in religion as I have. And honestly- I respect all peoples different ways to find it. I know a good friend of mine, when we had this conversation took it upon himself to find his- and he switched majors. Another one joined the Catholic church. And I think it's great. I hope with all my heart that you find happiness, real happiness in whatever way it comes to you. (As long as it isn't killing people or something that takes away someone elses agency) And I hope, if you are truly happy, other people around you can support it. Because that's what we should all want for each other- happiness.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, i've never had to deal with death so i can't even imagine.. As far as your story goes it does sound like maybe we've been in the same spot. when i first started becoming inactive i was just waiting for someone to reach out to me and invite me to church but noone did. i contacted missionaries to have someone to talk to but they just tried to shove it down my throat without trying to understand what i was going through. I eventually took off my garments and told my parents i was leaving. I have found that happiness once earlier in my life through another means but unfortunately is no longer part of my life. Thank you for being kind enough to tell a stranger your story. I respect people more as they face and overcome adversity, i'm glad you found peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I know this sounds weird, but I have really enjoyed this conversation. I think it's awesome to have people to talk to about deep things, and also someone rooting for you-even if you haven't met them yet. If you ever need someone to talk to about religious stuff, family drama, or even tv shows I am a pretty good listener. (I think).
    My email is lexilallatin@yahoo.com. Send me an email. I'm rooting for you to find that peace and I would be interested to hear how it happens.

    ReplyDelete