Thursday, May 17, 2012

Things I Learned from my Granddad.

Grandpa, Grandma, My family and I
I never saw my grandfather and I as "close". He lived in California so we didn't see him very often, and when we did there was so much chaos going on around us with the rest of the family- I didn't get the opportunity to just sit down and talk to him. Most of my memories include coming to grandparents house, and finding him hiding from all the commotion in the piano room, asleep with a newspaper over his tummy. Yet it was the week he died I started to truly understand what a great man he was. It's sad that we always appreciate and recognize these things a little too late. I also started to see all the ways he has touched my life.

1. He taught me the importance of family-
My grandfather came to every important event in my life. He was there around my birth, and he was there at my baptism. He never once forgot to call on a birthday and sing a barley recognizable song of happy birthday to me. He has a picture with every grandchild, and great grandchild on their important days. He enforced family home evening, even buying us all whistles so that we could feel involved. He spent a majority of his life supporting his family, money wise and decision wise. He actively tried to find something in common with every family member- with me it was quote books and seashells. He taught me what it means to have a family- dedication, understanding, and patience.
2.Passion is never a bad thing-
When you look at the Lallatin family- there is no doubt a competitive streak that runs through it. I honestly believe the main reason we play cards at every family reunion is because that is the only way to keep the "Lallatin Streak" in check. Everyone feels the need to be right, but more than that- to prove it. It's not done maliciously but with playful fire. I have no doubt where we all got this from. Grandpa was the first to stand for something he believed in- whether it was that someone cheated on cards, no one else should be allowed another slice of boysenberry pie, or the need to restore a natural spring of water. He taught me that it's more important to have things to fight for in your life, than to live passively.
3. A corny humor will always lighten the mood-
Everyone that has met my granddad knows that he was a quirky man. We all know that eating pickles will make your eyes turn brown, carrots turn your skin orange, and ice cream will inevitably turn your eyes back to blue. He always could find the humor in anything- even if he had to make it. He would be the first to laugh at himself. I remember playing cards and everyone would tease him about his mutilated finger, and he would just chuckle. He was never without a terrible joke, but he always used it to brighten the mood. I don't remember my granddad ever getting angry, but I can remember four hundred terrible jokes he made.
4. Value a Job well done-
It was also because of his incessant praise- that he somehow conned grandma into cooking his pie every time we all came to visit. But the most important thing is he valued a job well done in himself. If he was proud of a day of yard shopping- he would come in bragging about all the steals he got. He also spent his life maintaining the church building that he helped sponsor, fund for, and build. He took pride in the hard work he put into it, and the end result. 
5. Service-
It was obvious, with the obscene amounts of people who attended the funeral, helped out with the aftermath, and bore their testimonies of the influence he had on them the next day in church- my Grandfather had touched lives. He instilled this in my father- who is the most service oriented person I have ever met. I know both of them would jump to help people besides themselves- whether they asked or not.
6. Give everything your all
Once my grandfather reconverted to the church- nothing could sway him otherwise. Once he got a job working with land and the environment- he went out of his way to make sure he was doing everything in his power to make things right- even if the company didn't always agree with him. He did shows, and he would put everything into performing the characters given to him. He gave everything to be a good father and grandfather.
7.The importance of being silly
My granddad was a funny funny man. He had no shame, as you can tell when you look at old Halloween outfits that him and my grandmother wore. He would sing you a song if he felt like it. He wasn't afraid to live every second allotted to him.
8. How to Love-
My granddad loved my grandmother. It is obvious in every picture, and in every touch they shared. It wasn't the movie kind of love- it was simple things. Like a kiss in the kitchen, a rub on the shoulder, holding hands in church, the way they both looked out for each other. It was something real, tangible, that death can never put a stop to. When my father was interviewing them about their life together, they would constantly try to correct the other person, and argue over facts, only to dissolve in laughter. You can feel it- even now as they are separated- the love that connects them.
9. Always be looking to better yourself-
My granddad has a collection of self help books bigger than my bathroom. When I was younger, he would give me quote books, and we would discuss the quotes I found. He would spend hours reading books about how to better himself, and he passed that trait onto my father. Both of them realized the importance of improving- moving forward. They both sought information on how to do that. He encouraged me to do the same in my own life- and apply the things I learn. 
10. Testimony-
My granddad knew the power of repentance. He didn't start out active in the church, but once he had made the decision he gave the church his all. He never failed to bring hardships around to bear his testimony. He always knew how to reach people that needed to hear it. He knew the church was true, and showed it with every action he made. I didn't know a lot about my grandpa, but I always knew he had a testimony. His last words were "I believe in Jesus Christ."

Richard Lallatin was a wonderful man. I am so excited to have him up in Heaven rooting for me. He raised amazing kids. My dad is the most amazing person I know- and I know I owe that to his parents. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to know my grandfather. I am so thankful for the influence he has had on my life. I hope you tell all the people in Heaven the gluck gluck story.

1 comment: