Thursday, May 31, 2012

Everyone thinks she's a bit of all right but I think that she's not so nice!


Frenemy. Those girls who you hang out with because when you are around them you feel important and included, but you know as soon as they turn their back you are an open target.  I am now at a point where I don't want to play these games anymore. These girls are typically very pretty and it is because of this that they have been taught it is okay to classify people into categories- pretty or not/ worthwhile or worthless/ ect. They don't see the world around them for what it is.I have completed a list to screen frenemies out from your life.
Can she say something nice about other females around her?

Are they on your side, on your team, and "with you" for the long haul?

Do they ever try to see other peoples point of view?

Do they measure themselves on the attention of boys?

Are they nice to "the help"- such as waitors, servers, salespeople, ect?

Do you feel like they would have your back if the situation warranted it?

Do they bring something to the friendship other than popularity?

Do they seem to judge people primarily based on looks?

Do they attempt to make you feel involved when you are socializing with them?

Are they proud of your accomplishments?

Do they make you feel like a better person?

If not- don't waste your time trying to befriend them. Love them, but also stop trying to seek their undying attention because -spoiler- you will never have it. Also ask yourself if you have these characteristics.

I came to the conclusion after my freshman year that I was morphing into a terrible friend. I turned into someone that you couldn't trust at all because of my excessive gossipping, my judgemental attitude, and my constant need for male attention. In other words- I was a stuck up brat. I justified it, saying that I was reading my scriptures, I did service every now and then, and I went to church. But just because you can say these things doesn't always mean you are acting like a Christ like person. When I realized this I started to realize I had to make some serious changes. Since then I take pride in the fact that my friends can trust me to defend them, and keep my mouth shut about their shortcomings. I take pride in the fact that I have all different types of friends- and I feel sorry for those who limit themselves to one clique. When you do that you don't get the different perspectives and experiences life has to offer. I also feel proud everytime I am the one being called at two in the morning to help solve a problem, or the one whose couch people stay on in times of need. I'm proud because I know those people who are that role in my life are the ones I trust, and depend on the most. We need to stop seeking attention from girls who don't display respect to anyone, and instead start working on ourselves. We as girls need to learn to love each other, support each other, and most of all- stop gossipping about each other. The world would be a better place if we could simply refer to every female as our friend instead of our competetion.





3 comments:

  1. I love you. Thank you for being my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexi Lou, I love this and I love you! I know I've definitely had that experience of realizing what it takes to really be Christlike (and just how far I was from it). I know that I can always count on you to lift me up and make me feel good about myself. You really are a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexi, you are AMAZING! I love that you are always seeking to do and be better ... the world is so much more of a beautiful place because you are in it and living life to the fullest. Thanks so much for your insights... kinda needed to think about this and ask myself those questions you posed. Gah! I love you so much, girlie! Even though I'm the most awful of friends and I haven't seen or talked to you in forever.

    ReplyDelete